- What is a project?The Project Management Institute defines a project as a “temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result”. Projects have a clear beginning and end, unlike an IT activity that is ongoing. A project is the vehicle used to implement, enhance, or change an IT activity.
- What is an IT activity?As defined by Vermont statute, an IT activity is the: “Creation, collection, processing, storage, management, transmission, or conversion of electronic data, documents, or records; and the design, construction, purchase, installation, maintenance, or operation of systems, including hardware, software, and services which perform or are contracted under Administrative Bulletin 3.5 to perform these activities”. Translated: An IT activity is anything that uses or deploys Information Technology, whether in-house or outsourced.
- What do DDI and M&O mean?DDI stands for Design, Development, and Implementation. A DDI project involves the creation and/or implementation of a new IT solution.
M&O stands for Maintenance and Operations. An M&O project involves updating an existing system like an enhancement or a version upgrade.
- What is the role of the Project Portfolio Manager?To provide support to the agencies and departments in their portfolio, including: helping groom and prioritize IT activities; tracking resource allocations across IT projects; guiding current and pipline projects; and recovering troubled projects. S/he also supervises the day-to-day activities of the project managers and business analysts in their portfolio.
- How does the EPMO assign resources to IT projects?The order of priority for assigning EPMO resources to projects is:
- IT DDI Projects greater than $500K
- IT M&O Projects greater than $500K
- IT DDI Projects less than $500K
- IT M&O Projects less than $500K
- What is the IT project intake process?
- Determine whether your IT activity is a project
- Reach out to your designated IT Lead
- Work with your Portfolio Manager to begin the Exploration Phase
Go to: Start a Project for details
Agency of Digital Services